- 4 (1 1/2-lb) live lobsters
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- (1 large) 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon
- (optional): hot dog buns (preferably top-split), buttered and grilled or toasted if desired
Plunge 2 live lobsters headfirst into an 8-quart pot of boiling salted water. Loosely cover pot and cook lobsters over moderately high heat 9 minutes from time they enter water, and then transfer with tongs to sink to cool. Return water to a boil and cook remaining 2 lobsters in same manner. While lobsters are cooking, combine shallot, lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. When lobsters are cool, remove meat from claws, joints, and tails. Discard tomalley, any roe, and shells. Cut meat into 1/2-inch pieces. Whisk mayonnaise, tarragon, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper into shallot mixture. Add lobster meat and toss gently to coat.