Monday, January 5, 2009

Amazing New Years Feast and the Recipe it Beat!

I'm so glad the Holidays are over! 2009 is going to be a better year I'm sure of it. I had zero time this December to cook or blog, but now that the hustle and bustle is over and done with...I can get back to my real passions Food & Blogging. This fantastic recipe was going to be my New Years Day feast, but the owner of my company Dan "The Lobster Man" Zawacki was kind enough to allow all of his employees to take some food home for the new year free of charge! New Years day was a feast that started with King Crab Cakes, Lobster Macaroni and Cheese and half of the most delicious Maine Lobster Wellington I have EVER had in my life! I then prepared the black & white stripped Lobster Stuffed Ravioli (sorry, we don't carry this particular product though I'm not sure why...it was PHENOMENAL) and made an Alfredo sauce from scratch and threw in a pound of Maine Lobster Claw Meat so the pasta was Lobster-riffic from the first to last bites. Better than pork chops I think, but I felt weird not preparing pork on New Years Day. My family has always told me that we prepare pork on New Years Day because the pig routs with his nose in a forward direction, the way we want to move in the new year. We abstain from preparing chicken on New Years Day because the chicken scratches the ground with the it's talons in a backwards motion, and we don't want to move backwards in the new year. It's a little superstitious I guess that's what most traditions are based upon. I hope all of you are having a great start to 2009. I look forward to another great year of gourmet food and fantastic recipes!

Pork Chops with Pears and Ginger Sauce

Bone In Pork Chop Recipe from Lobster Gram
Ingredients

  • 4 pork chops, 1/2 inch thick, trimmed
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2/3 cup dry white wine
  • 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 firm, ripe pear, such as Bosc or Anjou, peeled, cored and cut lengthwise into eighths
  • 1 1 1/2-inch-long piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin julienne strips (1/4 cup)
  • 6 scallions, trimmed and sliced into 1/2-inch lengths
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons water
Recipe Directions
Season pork with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook until browned and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Pour off fat from the pan. Add vinegar and sugar to the pan; stir to dissolve the sugar. Cook over medium-high heat until the syrup turns dark amber, 10 to 20 seconds. Pour in wine (stand back, as the caramel may sputter) and bring to a simmer, stirring. Add broth, pears and ginger; bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, turning the pears occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add scallions and cook until the pears are tender, about 2 minutes more. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until lightly thickened. Reduce heat to low and return the pork and any accumulated juices to the pan; turn to coat with the sauce. Serve immediately.
Source:Ginger Pear Pork Chops

No comments: